Your fundraising consultant
Jim O’Brien is a highly sought-after fundraising professional with over twenty years’ experience in developing and leading teams and programs in healthcare and higher education.
Jim’s consulting practice focusses on:
Assisting organisations to transform their capacity for impact through fundraising
Developing new fundraising offices and programs within organisations
Applying a rigorous approach to fundraising practice
Specialising in fundraising in large, complex organisations
Pursuing large gifts and philanthropic support from corporations, foundations and trusts
Supporting the fundraising leadership to have a greater impact within the organisations they serve.
A native of Connecticut, Jim began his fundraising career following graduate studies in psychology at the University of Chicago. While pursuing a research career focused on health care quality, organisational culture and change at Northwestern University, he was recruited by Advocate Health Care to launch a new office of foundation and corporate relations. This is where Jim came to appreciate the power of fundraising to transform organisations.
From Chicago, Jim moved to the University of Hawaii where he established the first office of foundation relations and was engaged in the early stages of the university’s first capital campaign. He returned to the University of Chicago Medical School and Hospital joining its capital campaign. There he secured major gifts to support leading-edge research, medical education, patient care and community health programs. He then worked for the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative in New York where he secured over $10 million in foundation gifts and was instrumental in managing relations with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, stewarding a $100 million gift.
Jim was invited to Australia in 2010 by the University of Sydney where he developed corporate and foundation fundraising strategies to great effect and played a key role in helping to secure some of the University’s largest gifts. As a senior leader of the Advancement team at the University of Technology Sydney Jim had responsibility for bringing on a team and program of fundraising that could help move the institution towards becoming a world-leading university of technology. In addition to focusing on strategies for major and principal gifts, he developed and launched a phone campaign as part of the annual appeal and a new donor relations program.
In Australia, Jim discovered a philanthropic sector which was truly awakening to the power of giving. He hopes to help support the growth of fundraising and philanthropy in this country, beginning with fundraising leadership.
Jim’s Latest News
- The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC): Chicago’s Only Public Research University
- How, Why and How Much Australians Give to Charity: 3 Important and Surprising Findings
- Fundraising Lessons From Stanford’s $12 Billion Man [PRESS REVIEW]
- These 5 Books Can Help You in Your Fundraising Career (Recommended By Jim O’Brien)
- New Study on US Foundation Funding for Australia
- Smaller Charity Walks and Runs Report Gains; Big Events See Declines [Press Review]
- New Insights into Women’s Giving
- Preparation Pays Off: Five Steps to Maximise Your Fundraising Results
- Fundraising Consultant in Sydney: Jim O’Brien joins AskRIGHT
- Charitable Giving Up Around World, Study Finds [Press Review]
Latest posts by AskRIGHT (see all)
- PAFs to overtake other tax-deductible giving in under 10 years - November 10, 2017
- The University of Chicago: a World Leader in Advancement and Philanthropy - August 28, 2017
- Three Essential Steps for a Successful Capital Campaign - July 13, 2017