BA (Hons), MA (Hons), Grad Dip RE, MBA, PhD
Your fundraising consultant
Daniel is a highly experienced and innovative fundraising professional with more than 30 years of success raising funds for higher education, research, religious and other organisations. In 2004, he established AskRIGHT advising leadership on fundraising and helping build capacity to reach their organisational goals.
Daniel’s consulting practice focuses on:
helping research institutes, universities, and aid organisations to develop international fundraising capacity
reviewing the effectiveness and efficiency of school and university fundraising departments
advising universities on the establishment of first-time fundraising and alumni relations
specialising in fundraising in complex environments
designing fundraising strategies for individual organisations, and whole systems.
– Alan Hough, General Manager, Governance and NDIS Strategy at Sylvanvale
Daniel’s strength is in fundraising planning to achieve optimal income for each client. He can often help clients identify potential donors they had not thought of, and revenue streams that are possible for their organisation but not for others.
– Leanne Cutler, Managing Director at Siren Global Pty Ltd
Clients will get a good hearing from Daniel. They will be listened to first so he understands their situation, and he will provide them with advice they can really use over the long term.
Fellow of the Fundraising Institute – Australia (FFIA)
Member of the Fundraising Institute of New Zealand (FINZ)
accredited fundraising professional (CFRE)
Daniel McDiarmid began his career in fundraising in 1982 as National Secretary for Education and Promotion with the Australian Board of Missions and subsequently worked with Stewardship Australia. He then established fundraising and alumni offices at Central Queensland University and RMIT University. His appointment to Queensland University of Technology enabled him and his talented team to develop the existing fundraising and alumni relations programme to new heights culminating in the successful $175million New Century Campaign.
Now with 33 years fundraising experience, Daniel brings a wealth of knowledge and wisdom to fundraisers, CEOs, Trustees and philanthropists.
– John Taylor, former Director of External Relations, University of Auckland
– Ric Fletcher, Director of Development, Christ’s College
Daniel has spoken at many conferences in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, the USA and UK.
He has an appointment as Adjunct Professor in the Australian Centre of Philanthropy and Non-Profit Studies (QUT).
He is also Chair of the Emmanuel College Foundation at the University of Queensland; chair of the charity Sweet Freedom which uses music and community services to build the confidence of marginalised people; and is a Director of National Trust of Australia (Queensland).
In 2006 he gave the FIA Dave Rose Orations.
He says he works in this sector because it offers the intellectual challenge of finding solutions in a complex environment, combined with the difference it makes in people’s lives when you get it right.
Daniel’s Latest News
- PAFs Turn Their Attention to New Investment Options. Can You Benefit?
- Why Competitive Philanthropy is a Risk
- US Research Says Aged Care is Not a Philanthropic Priority: How to Change This
- “Give, Get or Get-Off” has Gone: Australian Insights on Fundraising for Board Members
- Fundraising Results and Alternate Facts: What Research and Data Reveal
- Australia does a Bradbury in World Giving Index
- Matched Funding: Why don’t you use it more?
- Chuck Feeney: Philanthropy Shaken Not Stirred
- Smaller and Regional Universities are Better Targeting Philanthropic Funds [Press Review]
- These 20 Colleges Raked in the Biggest Donations Last Year [Press Review]
Daniel’s Upcoming Events